Monday, September 15, 2008

Motorcycles and Riding

In late October of 2014, I SOLD my X. X is a Suzuki DL 1000 V Strom. Great bike for taller guys or gals. I miss her already.






Here is my Motorcycling Blog. Yes, I am a motorcyclist. I have been since my first legal driving permit was issued to me in California when I was 15 1/2, back in 1965. At that time, my motorcycle was my only means of transportation. My 1st bike is pictured here, a 1962 Honda 250 Dream. I replaced this early touring model with a Honda CB 350. Gave up motorcycling in 1970 to go to college, raise a family, and produce my livelihood. In spending half of my life after high school in cars, I must have racked up nearly 1/2 million miles on 4 wheels. Returning to 2 wheels about 20 years ago in 1991, my original goal was to park in a very crowded University parking lot where I worked. The commute was always fun, but the call of the open road eventually beckoned. Now I love riding for my personal enjoyment. Weekend local rides, rallys and poker runs, long distance rides, and even continental tours have extended my enjoyment.

Sport Touring motorcycles are my favorite in style. I like to pack up an overnight bag, maybe throw on a tent and head out for adventure. The bikes I have owned have all had luggage of some sort as a factory feature or added aftermarket. In the past 20 years I rode a Honda Silverwing 500 over 35,000 miles, a Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours over 65,000 miles, my Yamaha FJR 1300 has 65,000 + miles, and my most recent bike (pictured at the top of the page) is a Suzuki DL 1000 ManStrom with over 57,000miles. Really liking the Big Traillie V-Strom as of late and am considering rplacing it and the FJR in the near future with some kind of large displacement Dual Sport. I enjoy doing my own motorcycle maintenance and farkling (this is akin to customizing), but mostly I love to return home after the itch of a ride has been scratched.

Living on California's Central Coast, most ALL of my motorcycle experiences have been within the Western United States. Occasional excursions into Baja of Mexico and Canada have been travelled, including the surrounding states of Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Heat, rain, sleet, hail, wind, and cold have been experienced. Nothing like riding from the desert to the mountains and feeling the temperatures and climate change. I have proper riding gear for many different occasions, and always wear a helmet. ATGATT means that a motorcyclist should wear All The Gear, All The Time.

Generally, the rules of basic motorcycling are; always keep the shiney side up, and the rubber side down, and don't forget to put your foot down when you stop.

2 comments:

Bob said...

George "The Croatian Sensation" --

I'm sitting here surfing the internet on motocycling and I somehow stumbled into your blog. Looks a little dated, but I'm guilty of the same thing. Hope all is well with you and wifie. We need to get together sometime. I miss CA with all that great riding so near at hand.

Bob Burns

Unknown said...

I like to ride the different motorcycles. At last i ride the Honda CB 350. In my point of view it is best bike for riding and the handling of this bike is mind blowing.
ATV Chain